Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ikea and Etch All

So what do you get when you combine Ikea and Etch All? A really fun home decor project using my Cricut and the Graphically Speaking cartridge. I won't keep you in suspense any longer here it is:


Now I realize everyone may not wish to use this title, so for class you will be able to pick you title and really personalize the project to fit your needs.

The first thing you need to have for glass etching is a wonderful product called Etch All, etching creme. It works on glass and mirrors. You also need adhesive vinyl.

After I picked and sized my title I cut it out of this lovely pink Quickutz vinyl. Why Quickutz vinyl you ask? Well it's what we had lots of in the store, so it's what I choose. The last time I etched I used Cricut vinyl, is there a difference? Not sure but I think the Cricut vinyl may be stickier. Is that a word? The QK vinyl shifted a bit when I was wiping the creme off so I had to work fast. You also want to make sure you have no air bubbles along your edges. If you do you won't have nice crisp lines.

When the vinyl is ready you just gob on lots of etching creme using a foam brush. Let it sit for 15 minutes, wipe off excess and return it to the jar, the rinse off the remaining creme under warm water and dry the glass.

Up close this is what you get. I cute title etched into your glass. It will be really simple to remove the layout and and change it. I'll just have to remember to keep the title in the same space as a design element in the future.

This will make really wonderful personalized Christmas gifts for Grandparents. And then each year you can easily change it out as the children grow. The frames are called "Clips" and are available at Ikea for $2.99 (apkg of 2). Quite inexpensive I think.

Now I did not use transfer paper but it's something I can see would be very useful, so I have a feeling it's coming out of the tube on Friday when I'm at work. I can use it for Saturday's class and make my life easier. Plus it may sell the transfer paper.

If you have a question on how this works please feel free to leave a comment and I'll answer the best I can.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this is a very cute idea. way to go. I too would love to go to your class if I lived near you. nice blog.